Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Classical Psychoanalysis

Herodotus 3.34-35 (tr. Aubrey de Selincourt):

'Master,' Prexaspes replied, 'you are highly praised by them, and they have but one criticism to make: they say you are too fond of wine.'  This enraged Cambyses.  'So now,' he said, 'the Persians say that excessive drinking has driven me mad.  They said something quite different before; but I see it was a lie... I'll soon show you if the Persians speak the truth, or if what they say is not a sign of their own madness rather than of mine.  You see your son standing there by the door?  If I shoot him throught the middle of the heart, I shall have proved the Persians' words empty and meaningless; if I miss, then say, if you will, that the Persians are right, and my wits are gone.'

Without another word he drew his bow and shot the boy, and then ordered his body to be cut open and the wound examined; and when the arrow was found to have pierced the heart, he was delighted, and said with a laugh to the boy's father: 'There's proof for you , Prexaspes, that I am sane and the Persians mad.  Now tell me if you ever saw anyone else shoot so straight.'

No comments:

Post a Comment